Friday, May 20, 2011

Explaining Mage: the Ascension to my wife / Short post #1

This afternoon I explained M:tA to my wife.
It did not go well.
Not because she didn't understand. Not because she couldn't appreciate the concept of consensus defined reality, belief dependant magic systems or a metaphysical war for control of reality.
No. It's because she's smarter and better educated than I am.

I have no idea what Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience is about, but its inclusion in the conversation put me on a back foot immediately.
Try as I might, my assertions of paradigmatic magic was countered with post industrialization theory.

This is why I don't normally discuss my hobby with her.


8 comments:

  1. I would like to be here to hear the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It started well, but I was soon out of my depth.
    I've since read up on Blake on Wikipedia, and conceded that the reference was on the money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you explain the relevance of the reference? I'm very intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To my shame, Wikipedia puts it far more succinctly:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_of_Innocence_and_of_Experience

    I think it's relevant to the discussion as she raised it as I outlined the antagonistic positions and histories of the Traditions and the Technocracy.
    Wikipedia says:
    "In this collection of poems, Blake contrasts Songs of Innocence, in which he shows how the human spirit blossoms when allowed its own free movement with Songs of Experience, in which he shows how the human spirit withers after it has been suppressed and forced to conform to rules, and doctrines."
    In many ways, this sums up part of my understanding of the Ascension War, and why the two factions are at odds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "... the human spirit blossoms when allowed its own free movement ... the human spirit withers after it has been suppressed and forced to conform to rules, and doctrines..."

    See also Changeling: The Dreaming?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, also C:tD. Mage and Changeling were the two oWoD games that played nicely with each other, so I fully endorse this comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, but that's only one facet of a multi-faceted and sophisticated game. The very arguments begets the core conflict of the Mage premise.

    ReplyDelete