Monday, February 8, 2010

geekbook / RPGeek / nook.geek / whatever

Why I started this blog / Naming is the hardest part / too many slashes

I've been reading Justin Achilli's blog for awhile now, for two reasons.
1/ I'm a WW/WoD fanboy, and enjoy the insight and perceived familiarity with one of the developers of my favourite game line. I also read the WW staff blogs on LJ when they did those, particularly enjoying Ethan Skemp's. It's a real shame they stopped.
2/ Justin's views on the playing experience and game design behind that experience match what I would try to ask myself if I designed games for a living. I don't design games though, I work in a bank.
Due to reading Justin Achilli's blog, I started looking at the other blogs on the RPG Bloggers Network, and realised that there are loads on D&D blogs and discussions, and very little about the game lines that I like. In fact, when you filter for World of Darkness blogs, you get the same handful of people, and they're mostly writing about Mage: The Awakening.
Don't get me wrong, I own M:tAw, and like it, however I also own Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Foresaken, Changeling: The Lost and Hunter: The Vigil, all of which I feel are better games. Mage, whilst good, seems a bit ... disjointed. In many ways it is an improvement on Ascension, and in other ways it's not so good. I suspect that it may have compromised so that it plays nicely with the other game lines in the setting.

So, I started this blog to brain dump about the Hunter: The Vigil game i'm running, about how much I'd like to play Changeling: The Lost, about game ideas for Vampire:tR and Werewolf:tF and other gaming related stuff that's on my mind.

And once I have some discipline and am posting regularly, try to hook up with the RPG Bloggers Network.
It's a dream - have a blog, and have people read it.

Titles - Obviously every possible original blog title under the sun has been taken, and we're now in the realms of a post-modern, plagerised and self-referential naming convention. Even the bad puns are taken.
I had a LJ group called 'geekbook', which I used to support a World of Darkness game I ran about three or four years ago. That title's taken.
I tried RPGeek, which I thought was good enough without being pretentious or precious. That was taken as well.
So it's nook.geek, which is my first name with geek stapled on. My creativity ran dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment