Sunday, November 27, 2011

Star Wars Resurrection / Do you do miniatures?

On Tuesday I run my first Star Wars Saga Edition game. I've only owned it for four years.
I remember reading it in my newborn sons nursery as I rocked him to sleep.
He's four now.

My new gaming group selected it over Aberrant, which I intend to run at some point in the near future, and generated their characters last week.
They're all starting at Level 1, and it's set during the Clone Wars.
I've got a:
Human Jedi
Zabrac Scoundrel and a
Human Soldier
If fairly happy with this.

It's also my first time playing with two of the players, Adam and Ni (Scoundrel and Jedi), which is good. It'll keep me on my toes.

Adam offered to bring along some of his minis, to which I replied I don't use miniatures, I narrate the action like a World of Darkness game.

This makes perfect sense to me, but I'm aware that this is not how d20 games are written, and people may take feats specifically to gain a tactical advantage in miniature based combat.
This worries me, slightly.

I ran D&D 4e two years ago, without miniatures. When I handed the GM duties over to another player, the first thing he did was bring in a battle grid and minis.

How integral to a d20 game do miniatures have to be?
This is an important question, as WotC dropped Star Wars, and the minis are going out of stock.
And my wife will not be happy if I order in several boxes.



2 comments:

  1. Mini's in Saga edition arn't essential. I've played with them and without. Mini's tend to cut down on incidents where clashes between DM and PC perceptions result in bad decision making. Something thats quite important when you consider how important cover, los and angles of fire are in a game where even 3rd level characters are vulnerable to being killed or incapacitated by just one or two hits from a blaster.

    Even so, you Don't need minis. But your games will probably benefit from them. At the very least, you'll probably need a sketch map of the terrain for every combat. Even marking the position of PC's and NPC's on that map and updating it as characters move should be enough to prevent anyone getting killed because they THOUGHT they had cover from all the badguys, not just some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points.

    I have an A4 sized chalk board that has a grid on one side, for high level mapping, and I may bring a small chess board for low tech mini combat.

    I wish had enough Lego Star Wars minifigures

    ReplyDelete