Saturday, May 21, 2011

Post-rapture survival horror / I apologise for this game idea

As I sit here not being caught up by the grace of God, I find myself wondering what a post-rapture world would be like.

As I understand it, anybody left behind is a sinner, and will not be saved, and a good proportion of the population will have been swept up and have vanished whilst a multitude of natural disasters occur across the globe.
The dead may also rise. I'm not too clear on this point.

So, the players would be sinners/non-believers who have to survive the wrath of God in a depleted world.
Society will have totally broken down, with people finding strong religion when its too late or embracing their damnation, both leading to social and physical conflict.
There may also be zombies.
As an additional touch, you could populate the skies with the hovering forms of the blessed, watching the world being destroyed and reborn from their vantage point.
You could also throw in further Christian mythology, and gear up for the last battle between Heaven and Hell, with Angels, Demons and the souls of the damned and the saved.

With its Morality system, Virtues and Vices, the World of Darkness could carry this setting idea quite well.


5 comments:

  1. Good idea, but I'm pretty certain that a post-rapture based survival horror RPG game already exists -and the setting itself is pretty damn good, even if the mechanics didn't appeal to me.
    I'll comment again once I can remember the name or dig the thing out of my hardrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the premise is that:

    "And the meek shall inherit the earth," wasn't a blessing, it was a curse. The survivors are the meek - those who hadn't made a decision one way or another to follow a Holy or unholy path. Or at least, their the guys who survived the various plagues, floods, natural disasters, powerplant meltdowns and so on that followed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was the game called, Brian?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's called, appropriately enough, "The End."

    http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3264

    "A game of post-biblical apocalypse roleplaying, The End casts the players as members of "The Meek" — those human souls neither good enough to ascend to Heaven nor evil enough to be damned to Hell, as they attempt to survive in a world of biblical horror."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sniderman. No wonder I couldn't find it in my hard-drive. I was looking at the wrong end of the alphabet.

    ReplyDelete