Saturday, July 16, 2011

G(+) Funk / Online gaming in the Google age

I tried an experiment earlier today. Actually yesterday.
Ok, a few hours ago.
Pedants.

I fancied seeing how I could use Google+ for casual remote gaming. Sort of like Play by Email, but not.
I thought I could create a Circle, put the players in it, and post a scene setter with picture and have them react to it in the comments.
The idea would be that each post was a stage in the story, and each new post would occur as the action in the comments reached a natural/critical point.

I didn't think it through to well, though.

Firstly, the players I selected confused it with the 'full' online RPG of Fear Itself i'm setting up.
Secondly, I hadn't thought about the posts getting lost in the feed. Players could keep adding comments to one post, and be alerted to updates by Notifications etc, totally unaware that a new post had come out. This also makes it hard to maintain a sense of narrative structure.

So, thinking on it, what i'm looking for in this instance is actually Google Wave.
Didn't they turn that off?

As a side note, I thought i'd give the basic framework of my Modern Mythic pet system a whirl, so this is what I sent out:
You have 10 points to spend between Strength, Sanity and Luck.
You excel at one thing.
You can use a point of Strength or Sanity to increase your chance of success in a physical or mental task.
You can use a point of Luck to turn a failure into a success, or a success into a failure.
Your character needs a name.

This is what I got back, which is encouraging:
 Str 2, San 3, Luck 5.
Jimmy Muldoon.
Excels at darts


 Brock Landers
Str 2, San 4, Luck 4
Excels at Poker


Alexander Braithwaite
Str 6, San 2, Luck 2
Excels at Golf.

3 comments:

  1. Well I just tried wave.google.com and it looked like it was still on. But I suspect they will turn it off soon. However they did open source a whole bunch of Wave related tech so it's not inconceivable to setup up your own private wave server.

    If you want really low tech real-time document sharing how about Etherpad: http://etherpad.org/public-sites/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if it's of any use, but they integrated the "real time collaboration" aspect of Google Wave into Google Docs. Maybe play-by-document is the way to go?

    ReplyDelete