Sunday, July 10, 2011

Green Light gogogogogogo / Video Conference gaming update

I have received agreement in principle from my wife to steal the laptop once a week and shout alarming curses into a microphone whilst sat in the kitchen drinking coffee.
In fact, she feels it's quite an elegant solution to our childcare / lifestyle constraints vs my addictive need to geek.

So, win!

I have just sent out confirmation of my commitment to the eight potential players, and we'll see what comes back.
Eight is a large gaming group, but I am expecting some attrition on that number. Not everybody will be available on the same night. Some people will be only passingly interested. It's a system that none of us have played before (Fear Itself / Gumshoe) and is an experiment in gaming media.

Whilst I would like to retain all eight (because they're all good friends who I have confidence in), I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if we dwindled to four.
If it dropped to less than that number, I'd probably have to rethink some elements.

For the play medium, I want to try Big Marker, who provide a free conferencing service that includes video, voice and IM chat, as well as the ability to upload and deliver presentations on a virtual white marker.
I'm hoping this will allow me to upload text, images etc that can be used in the session.
http://www.bigmarker.com/help/manual

I've also got myself on Google+, which is showing some potential for virtual gaming. It may be a fallback position should Big Marker go down or prove to be utter wank.

I've set the players some homework. Now to see what comes back.


  • Confirm that you want to and are able to play
  • Let me know what days are good / bad for you
  • Read the rules
  • Think about your character concept. I'll be using the basic character stereotypes presented in the rules, although this is not a high school game. There will be only one character with specific combat and investigation experience (who will be fated to die heroically near the end), and if anybody wants to play one, only one Psychic. If anybody wants to play one of these, then shout out asap. If multiple people want to play one of these roles, then we'll resolve that as it arises.
  • Try out BigMarker.com and make sure it works on your PC, and that you're happy to use it. http://www.bigmarker.com/ 
  • Read up on Fear Itself at Pelgrane Press's website or my blog.
  • Ask questions.

3 comments:

  1. I have tried to use http://www.bigmarker.com for video conferencing gaming, but not working in my PC, can you suggest the correct way how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just back off holiday Nook, will read emails asap

    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. Thanks a lot for this useful information.

    Video conferencing services

    ReplyDelete