Sunday, April 10, 2011

Cult initiation / Getting new people into the hobby

I'm a bit of a secret geek at work, and don't, as a rule, publicize my gaming hobby. About ten years ago some work colleagues found out that I did Live Action Roleplay (at the time), and I didn't hear the end of it. Of course, finding a full suit of leather armor, foam sword and shield and a leather cloak in someone's closet is very different to finding some D&D books and some dice...
However, one of my rare work friends has recently expressed an interest in table top RPG. He's been listening to some pod casts about MineCraft, Yog-pod or similar, which also includes some recorded D&D sessions. He seems to think these are very cool, and has asked for more information. I think he's mostly into the fact players can essentially choose their own course of action, rather than be limited the way MMORPGs do.

I've been cultivating this interest in the hopes he'll try it out. I've written a brief overview of the hobby, which I'll try to post up here if I can get it off works servers.

My game collection is White Wolf / World of Darkness heavy, but with Star Wars Saga Ed, Trail of Cthulhu, Esoterrorists, Fear Itself and In Nomine as well.

What's a good intro game for a new player from this lot?

No comments:

Post a Comment